Uploaded Image

< Back

St. Andrew's Presbyterian



1872: First recorded public worship service.

1887: Congregation formed. Rev John Chisholm and a handful of Presbyterians worked towards building a meetinghouse at 159 Seymour.

1 January 1888:Dedicatory services of the new building.

1888: Presbytery of Westminster officially recognized St. Andrew’s Kamloops as a congregation of the Presbyterian Church of Canada (a Canadian denomination which was formed in 1875)

June 1888: Pulpit donated by Mr James. Oak, natural stain, inlaid with walnut, upholstered with hair cloth.

21 January 1890: In annual meeting, decided to apply to the Presbytery to have the congregation placed on the Augmented List. Its status had been "mission" for its existence so far.

28 November 1890: The choirs of the Methodist and Presbyterian churches form a permanent organization known as the Union Glue Club of Kamloops.

1925: Church Union. The United Church of Canada was formed across the country. In Kamloops, this meant that the Presbyterian and Methodist denominations would unite to become the Kamloops United Church. Unlike the Methodists, the Presbyterians were allowed to vote on whether or not to join. The majority of the congregation voted for Church Union and continued to meet at 159 Seymour. Those who voted against Church Union (and continued to be St Andrew's Presbyterians) continued to meet in the Masonic Hall.

1926: Site of a new Presbyterian Church was purchased (corner of St Paul and 5th Ave), during the year, the building was constructed and opened.

1958: The present building on 6th Ave was constructed and dedicated.

Meeting Places

Leadership History

Congregation Website


Meeting Times

Sundays 10am

Information Sources